Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Beauty Food

I have been lucky that throughout my adult years, I have had pretty good skin. Sure, I get an occasional breakout here and there but all in all, my skin isn't too dry, to oil, to broken out.....until recently. The past few weeks I have been feeling hugely stressed out {bad skin trigger}, not getting enough sleep {not good for your skin} and not eating healthy {France get away was AMAZING, but was the amount of wine and bread I consumed good for my skin?}, and resulting in these things, my face isn't looking so hot. I have recently switched my skincare regime, and am certainly questioning that one as well, however, I am going to test it out first by cleaning out my diet to hopefully clean out my skin. It has been proven, you are what you eat, so I hope some of these recipes below help me make my skin back to shiny and clean! 

{Tomato Beet Salad via Martha Stewart}
{Ottolenghi Beetroot Avocado Salad}

Tomatoes and Beets - Luckily I LOVE both of these items! Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C, which help to keep the skin firm by aiding collagen production. Lycophene, the part of the tomato that helps make it red in colour, also helps stimulate skin circulation. Beets are an amazing vegetable. they are full of vitamins! Beets are particularly high in vitamin A, as well as potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin E, which is essential for epidermal health and healing. 
Avocado - This yummy green food use to scare me away because it was high in fat, well over the last few years I have learned to LOVE IT. Avocado is a great source of vitamin E & vitamin C. Avocados reduce skin inflammation and stimulate collagen in the skin to improve the tone of your skin. All sounds good to me! 
{Steel Oats with Berries on Style Me Pretty - photo by Abby Jiu}
Berries - Packed with Vitamin C berries add to your skins structure by adding collagen to the face. People pay a lot of money to get botox in their face and make it plump, for much cheaper {and ummmmm natural}, start adding berries to your every day diet! 
Pumpkin Seeds - Since I am not a huge salmon fan, I was reading that Pumpkin Seeds can give you the same effects as eating salmon, yay! Not keen on seafood? High in vitamin E, zinc and omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, pumpkin seeds help clear your skin up and are a great healthy snack. 
Water - Duh. Well we all say we know water is good for us, but do we drink enough? I'm attempting to limit my coffee intake and add more water.  The Mayo Clinic recommends you drink at least 2 litres of water a day!An easy way to drink more water and make it yummy, add some fruit! 

There are A LOT of good things out there to eat and help with your skin. I have really enjoyed discovering the blog Healthfully Ever After where she shares tips for making your skin pretty before I do...and beyond. The basics: stay away from processed foods, fried food, high carb foods, think clean, green, light foods that you can read the ingredients in and will make you feel better. That is what I am hoping to feel like on our wedding day, healthy, pretty and glowing! 

xoxo - Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...