Thursday, March 7, 2013

Go Read a Book!

Today is World Book Day, the day to read your child a book, buy a friends kids a new book, donate some books to a local library, all over stress the importance of reading. Luckily I grew up in a household where reading was a part of every day life. I remember being able to pick out a new book at the library or receiving a new book as a gift and snuggling in bed with my mom and having her read it to me over and over and over. Now that my friends are becoming parents, I always feel that a good book is a perfect present to give. I think we tend to forget that there a lot of children in this world where reading a good book may not be so easy to them as it was to me. 
As a member of the Junior League of London, one of our big projects is focused on Imagination Library  Through our project we donate thousands of books every year to families and are able to give kids a new book once a month, in a home where they may not usually have that opportunity. Not only does not having books to read make children on a lower reading level, it also makes their social skills low and usually puts them in a lower grade level throughout their entire school life. Today on World Book Day here in the UK, you are able to donate a £1 for a book token being given to children all over the country. OK, I know this post is starting to sound like I'm writing a school essay or you are thinking, "Wow, I had no idea this was so important to you" but when I sat down and thought about it I started to think that wow, reading a book was just part of the life I grew up in and can you imagine no Amelia Bedelia or Harry Potter, no Berenstain Bears or Matilda! Go out and read today and change a little persons future! No bonding times with my Dad reading my Christmas books by the tree or mom reading with me Eloise! Read a book today! Happy book day!
xoxo~Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...