Monday, September 14, 2015

Working Women: Lucy with Quill London

It has been really fun sharing so many amazing women over the last couple of years in my series of Working Women. Today I am excited to share another lovely lady in the biz with you, Lucy from Quill London. I discovered Lucy's company when I was looking for some stylish stationery in London. I had just moved here and I was on a search for some brands from the States that I loved like Rifle Paper Co. and Kate Spade and was pretty psyched when I came up on her chic site! I have gotten to know Lucy in the past year after attending a series of amazing calligraphy workshops she organizes and can say, this lady is one business women who is truly in love with what she is doing and the company she is creating. Enjoy the Q&A from Quill London and make sure to check out the site! 

When did you start your business? 
I took the plunge and launched in August 2012 after many years of cold feet!
What advice do you have for younger women looking to start their own business? 
You have nothing to lose by giving it a go. You don't event need to jump in with both feet to start with - there's a huge movement of women out there still in full time jobs running a successful business on the side. 
I'm not saying it's easy, but it's possible. 
 {photo above from Lucy's big day! Image by Photography by Krishanthi}

How would you describe the ideal Quill London client? 
Our customers are mainly women (but not all), quite creative and stylish. 

Do you have a trademark style that you like to stock in your shop? 
We do like a flash of neon and a touch of gold! And you can't go wrong with a polka dot!

What is your favourite part about running your own business? What is your LEAST favourite part?

The best bit is that when you have successes, it's the best feeling in the world. And I suppose conversely, the least favourite part is when things don't go to plan, they can be feel like real lows - there have been so many times where I've wanted to call it a day. It's an emotional roller coaster for sure! I also love having the flexibility to run my life on my own terms: I consciously try to keep to regular hours but I don't have to. And the variety that comes with my role is also exciting and keeps me going. 
Best moment of your career so far? 
When we launched, the first time we got an order from someone that wasn't friends or family. That was a pretty amazing moment.

What is next on the horizon for Quill London that you are excited to share? 

Our workshop programme is going well and we're enjoying finding new ideas and developing it out. I'm really excited about our new Paper Flowers workshops that start this Autumn. Plus we just launched personalised stationery - a project I've been dreaming about and working on for so long and I'm so thrilled with the results!
And three things about you..... 

Favorite place to find inspiration in London? 
I know it's cliche but I do find a walk along the Southbank always clears my head. 

Any instagram feeds/blogs that you are LOVING right now? 
I love Paper & Type's instagram feed. I'm not very good at keeping up with blogs but I do dip into Gathered Cheer, The Lovely Drawer, Sugar & Cloth and Miss Moss when I can. 
And wedding blogs are a guilty pleasure 
It's crazy, I'm already married, but I love seeing other people's weddings, I don't know why!

If we had asked you 20 years ago what you would be doing now, what would it be? 
I wanted to be an archaeologist.
Looking for a new 2016 stylish planner, thank you cards, personalized notebooks, even a wedding guest book...head on over to Quill! 

You can follow Quill London here: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Website
 
If you enjoyed this post, head over to the other Working Women features to read about these ladies: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...