Friday, August 14, 2009

I love DC - #4




Running.

Ok, I know you can do it anywhere, but recently I have become to SO appreciate the awesome running paths and streets we have in DC. Washington is such a great place to be a runner. I am currently training for marathon #4 and have been exploring new running options.

Today while I was doing a 10 mile training run around the city I felt like I was in a movie. It was a beautiful summer morning, slight breeze, sunny. It is so awesome to run through the Nations Capital when everybody is asleep. You run by national landmarks and forget that you live here! I ran down Connecticut Avenue through Dupont Circle. From there I ran past the White House. (Yes, I still get excited running by the Obamas house.) I slow down, gaze in. I mean really, who knows, maybe some day I'll see Michelle getting the girls off to school! hee hee. I ran to down Pennsylvania Avenue with the Capital ahead, around the Capital, past the the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial. It was a great run needless to say. The whole run was 10 miles. For any of your DC runners. Here are a few of my faves:

1. Rock Creek Park - will always hold a special place in my heart. I ran here the majority of my training for my first marathon right out of college. It is nice to run through a shaded park right in the middle of the city.

2. Bethesda/Capital Crescent Trail - One of of my favorite things to do on the weekend is to drive to Bethesda, run on the trail and get a bagel after at Bethesda Bagels. Meg and I have shared many stories over a long run on the trail. I love it. I great way too catch up and get exercise! Bethesda is such a great suburb of DC. If you want a 5 mile run or are training and need to go longer, you can connect down to Rock Creek, I have done about 20 on the trail before.

3. Reno - So this is one of new favorites. Reno is a long road that runs parallel between Conn Ave and Wisconsin Ave. The thing is you do not feel like you are running through a city, you run through neighborhoods. It connects right behind my apartment and I can make a nice 3 to 6 mile run on it.

4. Connecticut Avenue - last is my "Sedgewick Garden Running Club" run. Meg, Cerys and I have run this a lot, we meet in the apartment lobby at 6am. Right down CT Ave, run to the White House, to Constitution Ave and up to Metro Ctr. It is a 5 mile run if you hop on the metro (you can forget the CT Ave. HILL!) and go home.

Yes, running is a huge part of my life and I worry about the training and weather in sunny humid Florida, but I know I will get use to it. I have really become much more of a "runner" by living in Washington. Friends who run in NYC only have Central Park. We have SO many options here. As you can see by my pics, I have taken advantages of races. My parents love the Turkey Trot, my "running club" (ok not really a club, but I like to call us that) and I run little races here and there. My first marathon was the Marine Corps. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

If you live here or if you are just visiting, put your running shoes on early in the morning and go out for 1 mile or 10 miles. It is a great way to see the city and a beautiful one!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...